Thursday, December 22, 2011

25 Days of December Designt Team - Gingerbread

Welcome to Erica's Craft Room
25 Days of Christmas.
Don't forget to stop by Erica's blog to see more projects today....
and every day in December.




Today's theme is Gingerbread, so I decided to bake some. The first time I had gingerbread I was in Gettysburg, PA with my Hubby and my cousin Tess. Gingerbread with lemon sauce was the house specialty desert at the restaurant we went to. Gingerbread with lemon sauce sounded weird, but tasted good. So I set decided to make my own.


The little Gingerbread woman on top is from Paper Dolls Dress Up. It's one of the accessory cuts. I used my Sakura white gel pen to add the icing on her. She is small, I only cut her at 2", but she works great as a topper for this fabulous desert.

Here's the recipe I used:

Gingerbread Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup hot water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.( or spray with PAM)
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
  3. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  
  5.  
     


    Lemon Sauce Ingredients:

    • 1/2 cup white sugar
    • 2 tbsp cornstarch
    • a dash of salt
    • 1 cup water
    • 2 egg yolks
    • 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    • 1 tbsp butter

    Directions:

    1. In a small sauce pan combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and water. Bring to a simmer and stir frequently
    2. Whisk in egg yolks, then add lemon juice and butter. Bring to a simmer.
    3. Remove from heat, and pout over gingerbread while still warm.

    Happy Crafting!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment